Educational Support Fund
Sponsorship for Gifted Students in Marine Science and Engineering to meet industry’s critical shortage of suitably qualified entrants.
The Society for Underwater Technology’s Educational Support Fund offers sponsorship awards to high calibre undergraduate and postgraduate students, either starting or continuing a degree which embraces at least one relevant component area of marine science, underwater technology or offshore engineering. The postgraduate award is only available to students taking one year taught MSc courses.
MRes course students are eligible to apply providing they are not being fully funded by an EPSRC grant. A letter from a supervisor at the University to the effect that they are not being fully funded should be supplied before a student can take up any offer of support from us.
The undergraduate scholarship award will continue throughout the entire period, or remaining part, of the degree course, subject to a satisfactory academic standard being maintained, which will be reviewed annually.
The grants are open to any student, irrespective of age or nationality – for study at any course in the world that is approved by the Society. This grant is not open for PhD studies.
BENEFITS TO BOTH INDUSTRY SPONSORS AND STUDENTS
- Early identification of high quality students with potential interest in marine science and technology
- Early exposure of sponsoring firms to students and vice versa
- Steering of uncommitted high quality students towards the offshore and maritime industry, particularly towards the sponsoring firms
- Regular exposure of students’ progress, professional interests and project work to sponsoring industry
- Potential for industry involvement in project work
- Improved industry/university contacts
- A ready–made linkage for vacation attachments of students to sponsoring firms
- Regular publicity for sponsoring firms
- Linkage with a government approved scheme.
HISTORY OF SUCCESS
- Over 200 postgraduate and undergraduate students supported through the £450,000 raised by the Educational Support Fund .
- There has been a very high success rate, with very good academic results, and onward entry into the offshore industry or related research.
- Of unique scope, the Fund is one of the largest non–governmental sources of sponsorship for science and engineering students.
- Annual awards range from £2,000 for undergraduates to £4,000 for taught Masters students, with special Gold and Platinum prizes to the outstanding students of the year.
Postgraduate candidates should have obtained their undergraduate degree in a relevant engineering or science subject
AND have been accepted on a one year Masters (postgraduate) course of study related to offshore engineering, marine science or underwater technology.
Undergraduate candidates should have either permission to proceed to the second or subsequent year of the relevant BS, BSc or BEng degree course
OR a firm offer of a degree place at a university,
OR a provisional offer to be based on examination results yet to be taken.
The selection is made on the basis of the information given in the application form together with:
For Postgraduates – A head of university department’s report and/or current employer’s reference as applicable.
For Undergraduates – A head teacher’s reference or head of a university department’s report.
It is important to ensure that all sections of the application form are fully completed. Applicants will be informed of the outcome of the assessment in early September.
Postgraduates – The Society’s Educational Support Fund currently pays its sponsored students up to a maximum of £4,000 per annum for a full academic year.
Undergraduates – The Society’s Educational Support Fund currently pays its sponsored students up to a maximum of £2,000 per annum for a full academic year.
SUT scholars may apply for other sources of funding and still be eligible for an SUT grant. However, Please note the receipt of an SUT Grant may affect the level of funding that you may receive from other sources.
HOW AND WHEN TO APPLY
For the academic year 2017-2018: Students wishing to be considered for an SUT sponsorship award should request an application form by no later than Thursday 30 June 2017, please contact email@example.com.
Important: When applying for an application form, please give details of the subject you are studying/intend to study and supply the link to your course from the University webpage.
The application form, together with relevant reference(s) should be completed and returned by Midnight (UK time) Friday 29 July 2017 to Cheryl Ince at firstname.lastname@example.org. Late applications will not be accepted.
For more information contact:
Cheryl Ince, SUT, Unit LG7 1 Quality Court, Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HR
+ 44 (0)20 3176 8800 e: email@example.com