Houston – Online Engineering Competition
11 January, 2021 - 08 February, 2021
The Society for Underwater Technology in the U.S. (SUT-US) is hosting a global virtual online engineering competition for students (undergraduate and graduate) and early-career professionals (0-3 years of experience).
Participants can choose one or more problems to solve within the following topics:
- Underwater Thermal Garments
- Remote Subsea Power System
- Submarine Underwater Rescue in Shallow Water
- Carbon Capture
- Renewable Energy
Applications will be reviewed and confirmed on or before February 22nd, 2021. All successful registrants will receive the problem statement on February 22nd, 2021, the organizing committee will send the participants the problem statement(s), including questions to be addressed.
There is no limit on number of entries per person or team. For both, individual and team registration, the cost per participant per category is $100.00 for early-career professionals and $50.00 for students.
The deliverables include a MS PowerPoint presentation of up to 20 slides to be submitted by March 19th, 2021 by 5 PM CST. No report is required.
The judges will review each entry against the following criteria:
- Originality, Creativity & Intent
- Technical Aspects
- Implementation Feasibility
- Potential Impact and Growth
Finalist will be notified via email and assigned a 15 minutes time slot to give a final presentation to the judges between April 5th, 2021- April 8th, 2021. Winners will be notified via email with an invitation to the virtual award ceremony, which will take place on April 9th, 2021.
- Cash prizes.
- First place winners per category get free registrations to a SUT course/workshop with a cash value of up to $2400.00.
- All winners get a 1-year SUT membership.
If a team entry has won the topic, the cash award will be distributed evenly to each team member.
- January 11, 2021 – Applications begin
- February 8, 2021 – Registration ends
- February 22, 2021 – Competition begins
- March 19, 2021 – Competition submissions due
- March 29, 2021 – Judging begins
- April 5-8, 2021- Finalists presentations
- April 9, 2021 – Awards